PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 6th Sep 2013, 10:59
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Jwscud I think you are absolutely right. One difference between us and you is that you (as I understand it) have a well defined final approach speed (dependent on mass, density altitude etc), and things ain't going to work out if you deviate from that by much, especially near the threshold.

For us, a very wide range of final approach speeds will result in a satisfactory landing, and as a consequence the Ops Mans are much less prescriptive about what the final approach speed will be, containing such concepts as its OK to slow down as low as Vy (80kts) in poor weather, or do 165 in nice weather if you like. There is nothing wrong with this in principle as long as all the crew are on the same page. With appropriate briefing (and not just parroting some SOB) this can be done, but I fear we can be lax in this area. So a combination of a wide range of possibilities, and repetitive and uninforming briefs, means that PM (PNF) may not be that clear what the intended speed actually is, or at what point he should prompt, or at what point he should take control.

Good briefings, covering all the variables and not the SOB, empower even a copilot of limited experience to take action when things are clearly not going as advertised.

From this, I think we all see a need for a company by company and fleet by fleet review of SOPs on briefing, monitoring and use of automation in poor conditions so that we are all on the same page, and the best page at that.