PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't we buy a Mossie for the BBMF?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2013, 08:31
GeeRam

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by WH904
I could throw the same invitation to you - next year, go to a big show and don't just mingle with the enthusiasts, go and watch/listen amongst the main crowds. They usually don't even know what they're looking at. For the majority, they're waiting to see the Reds.
That's pretty much always been true..... and the Reds appearing at a show with always mean bigger crowds.

However, you say go to a big show....... but those are getting fewer and fewer, almost to the point that you need to be an enthusiast to make the effort to go to one of those, thereby the Reds factor reduces, and BBMF perhaps increases. There's not exactly a wealth of RAF At Home displays anymore, and will there be anymore BofB At Home displays once Leuchars closes?
That might mean Waddo is the only RAF show left

There's no USAFE UK base days anymore, which pretty much leaves RIAT.

If requests for BBMF displays were on the wane, I would say you have a valid point, but I think you'll find that isn't the case, if anything the opposite.

If anything, you could say there's more scope for a BBMF future than the Reds, or at least a dedicated 9-ship Reds as we've known for the past 45+ years.
Perhaps a volunteer Swedish AF Historic Flight jet based idea may have been the route to take before we had scrapped everything from the past, but it's too late for that now anyway. You could argue, the antique Hawks of the Reds are close to that anyway