PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I wish ..
Thread: I wish ..
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2013, 08:10
Party Animal

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
CG,

You must be off your rocker if you think he didn't try and do his level best to support our boys at every turn during his time as CGS!

And that was the problem! Great man to fight the Army corner on every level but not good for UK plc. CAS and CNS were just as bad though fighting for FJ, carriers and submarines. Personally, I would like to see our military leaders removed from the debate on the future structure and capability of our Armed Forces, so that a neutral cross party organisation could get the balance right for the UK and fund it accordingly, as well as having a long term plan that succesive governments would have already signed up to.

Dannatt was probably 'the' key advisor to Cameron and Fox in opposition leading to political bias in favour of the Army once in power. Good for the Army for sure but is it really best for Britain? Is our balance appropriate right now? If so, please tell me why as an island race with 90% of our commerce delivered by sea, we have no Maritime Patrol Aircraft of any sort?