PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 5th Sep 2013, 16:59
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Kaky C - I think one problem is that when the L2 was introduced (1992) all this talk of automation, automation dependancy etc etc hadn't been invented even by FW. Once you start down a bad path its harder to put it right. I recall doing an OPC in an L2, during the autorotation excercise I engaged IAS mode at 80 kts (Vy). The Training Captain / examiner took exception to this and said "you can't do that" but couldn't explain why not. Of course with IAS engaged, the whole excercise becomes much easier and you are guaranteed to maintain Vy until the flare, something which rarely seems to happen when people are flying it manually!

We were still banned from using the (admitedly limited) automation of the 332L during checks, being forced to fly the otherwise fully serviceable autopilot but without using the upper modes. Crazy! For the L2 I tried to introduce some use of automation during checks, but met a lot of resistance! So it was regarded as an extra set of sissy buttons that real men wouldn't use, and therefore the training given in its use was minimal, SOPs for its use didn't exist.

When we introduced the 225 (2005) we did try to look across at FW and hopefully took on board some of the lessons. For example, our SOPs require extensive calls and monitoring for use of the automation. One pilot calls presetting a parameter (eg ALT.A), the other pilot calls that he has crosschecked the setting. One pilot calls engaging a mode, the other calls what he now sees on the AFCS status display (ie what mode has actually been engaged). When there is an automatic transition between modes, eg an ILS localiser going from Armed to Engaged, that is called too.

We also show a video on automation dependancy - ie sometimes its best to drop down a level of automation. eg from coupled to ANAV on an overlay approach, drop down to HDG mode, or even drop down to manual flying (gasp!).

So I believe and hope that many of the bases are covered on the later fleets, its the earlier fleets that perhaps lag behind - although I have no idea what CHC's SOPs for automation use on the L2 are.