PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Load and Trimsheet Question
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2013, 16:07
keith williams

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
BOAC

I have no wish to nit pick, but If you look at the link below you will find that terms such as RTOW, MTOW etc have been replaced by the terms RTOM, MTOM etc. The subject area is now called Mass And Balance, not Weight And Balance.

I made no mistake in using the term RTOM, it is your insistence on using the term RTOW that is outdated.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP696.pdf

Are you saying that EASA does not recognise/define/acknowledge RTOW/M? That an ATPL does not need to know what it is? If so, Lord help us all. If you are not slightly puzzled by the question "Is it the MTOW for aircraft or the RTOW as computed, even if RTOW value is greater than aircraft Maximum Structural Takeoff Weight." and the apparent lack of understanding of 'Regulated/Regulatory' (take your pick) for an ATPL, operating Airbus, then I am amazed. Don't you ever get the feeling that the question gives away more than it asks?
I am well aware of the difference between weight and mass. I am also well aware of the fact that this difference is ignored in EASA mass and balance courses. The terms mass and weight are used interchangeably.

The fact is that a candidate does not need to know the difference between mass and weight in order to pass the exams and get the qualification.

We can argue about whether or not this is a satifactory state of affairs, but this will not change the reality faced by current ATPL instructors and students.

The fact that you are not amazed does not amaze me.

As for putting questions in the 'right pigeon hole', Keith, I would suggest that an ATPL should not need to visit this particular 'professional pilots' hole with a question like that, especially since the term would have appeared on every load sheet he/she has seen?
As I have stated in my previous post the EASA syllabus uses two load and trim sheets.

One is entitled the Medium Range Jet Transport 1 (MRJT1). This is an early version of the BOEING 737. The terms RTOM and RTOW do not appear anywhere on this sheet. The area used for calculating maximum allowable take-off mass simply uses the term "Maximum mass for, Zero Fuel, Take-off and Landing"

During my time as CGI at a school in Bournemouth one of our students visited a friend at the terminal and brought back a copy of a RYANAIR load and trim sheet. It was identical to that for the MRJT1 with the exception of the added RYANAIR logos. So not all real world load and trim sheets explicitly include the terms RTOM or RTOW.

The second type of sheet is entitled the Long Range Jet Transport 1 (LRJT1). This is an A330. This sheet does not include the terms RTOM or RTOW and does not include an area for calculating the maximum allowable take-off mass. In their document "Getting to grips with weight and balance" AIRBUS show how to calculate the maximum traffic load capacity. Curiously this explanation completely ignores the possibility that the take-off and landing may be performance limited. Instead it simply uses the structural limits.

I am quite sure that every instructor has often felt exasperated by the questions asked by students. But nothing useful is gained by expressing this exasperation. It is far more productive to simply give the student the correct answer together with the clearest explanation possible.

And finally, as for helping people to learn - that is what the ATPL course is for?

Finally finally, why not answer it yourself here if you feel the
need?
I suspect that you did your training many years ago and would be shocked at the attitude of some of the modern students. But these attitudes simply reflect the world in which we now live. Everyone wants the prizes, but very few want to work to get them. (Yes I know, I sound like a silly of fart)

HERC
To answer your question you need to look at the defintion of the term Regulated Take-Off Mass (or weight if you prefer).

REGULATED TAKE-OFF MASS
This is the lower of the Performance Limited Take-Off Mass (PLTOM)and the Structural Limited Take-Off Mass MSTOM).

So if you put the correct RTOM into the sheet you will never exceed either of these limits.

Last edited by keith williams; 5th Sep 2013 at 21:05.