PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fresh UH-60 Pilot wondering about civilian work
Old 4th Sep 2013, 22:00
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Please note....just about all of us are ex-military....so we don't want to sound like we are raining on your parade. In a fashion we are....but we are telling you like it is....warts and all.

If you ascribe to the concept that you are a Helicopter Pilot, work hard, can be flexible about most things but inflexible when it comes to safety, don't object to getting your hands dirty, can hand a wrench to a mechanic....hold a good flashlight for him when needed....keep your aircraft spotless....show up on time....work till the job is done, the aircraft put up, and the paperwork is done....you will find things happen for you.

Show up thinking like you are still in the Army....worse yet...act like you are still in the Army....and opportunities will dry up quicker than a Hooker's heart when your money runs out.

Just as your graduation from Army Flight School passes you along to the next level of learning.....so will your gaining your Civilian Licenses move you along in that learning process. Combine the all that learning....soak up as much as you can while flying with folks, lingering over a coffee with folks, taking in a few foaming ales with folks, and accept the fact you can and must learn from every single person you encounter.....even if it is "I shall never ever do that....that way...in that manner....for that reason!".

Personally, I pride myself on being a good bad example! We all have our place in the scheme of things.