PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I wish ..
Thread: I wish ..
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 21:52
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
as well as replacing the political head with a serviceman.
I can see what you are getting at, but how about a different tack? Firstly mandate it that SofS and a number of the Ministers must have served a sensible minimum (TBD) length of time in the military before being eligible to become a minister or SofS Defence.

Second, encourage retiring service personnel to stand as MPs. I find it a little galling that both labour and the coalition keep encouraging retiring service personnel to join the teaching profession/police/fire service/NHS etc but studiously ignore becoming an MP. If you look at some of the Hansards from the 20s there were a significant number of MPs speaking in the House who were former serviceman. Lets face it, any reasonably decent serviceman can turn his hand to any number of jobs in civvie street and can usually become very successful in the companies for which they work. I'm pretty certain that some of us could do a significantly better job of running some government departments than the current or previous incumbents, particularly those career politicians who don't really have any proper skills!