PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA faces lawsuit over pilot's behaviour
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 20:40
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
racedo

Firstly I need to make clear that as a parent myself what this guy is alleged to have done absolutely horrifies me...but I don't have any answers other than I think a knee jerk, "formally check everybody" solution is not the way to go and in any event probably wouldn't provide much in the way of increased protection you're asking for.

Frankly the BA staff I have spoken to in the last week would welcome checks because it is their names that is getting tarnished and they want scumbags like this weeded out.
I'd certainly agree with the weeding out....but whilst getting an enhanced UK check might be of help in the UK I'm not sure what use or how recognisable such a certificate is going to be in many parts of the world. Frankly if people like this are prepared to embellish their identity or status (or not, with due deference to s. t.) I don't think they'd think twice about forging paperwork if it got them the access they wanted - do you really think an overworked nun in an orphanage in Nairobi, Dar or elsewhere in East Africa is going to ring (you can forget the internet) an office in London every time some British helpers arrive to check their clearance paperwork is genuine?

but somehow requiring members of its staff to have the checks done when they volunteering overseas would stop the volunteering ? Doubt it very much.
I don't doubt it, it would certainly reduce the efforts of the many who volunteer on an ad hoc basis: Last time I was involved it was "yes, since I'm here in XXX for the first time in 3 years and have got the PM off, I'll go along help out with a bit of painting/kick a football around with the kids for an hour" - I haven't been back to that particular place for a couple of years and I really can't see many folks, self included, spending time renewing CRB checks on a routine basis on the off chance it might be needed - we have enough to do keeping the "normal" CRC's, US Visa and the likes valid...

Last edited by wiggy; 4th Sep 2013 at 20:54.