PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 17:06
Danny42C

Old aircrew guy

MPN11,

Sorry I'm a bit slow with the reply, but I went in search of my F5994: this developed into an archaecological dig which has only today borne fruit. Needless to say this pointed up huge gaps in my memory, and a need to revise some dates given in my stories as follows:

(a) It's blue and silver, of course - not gold ! (When would the RAF ever run to gold ?)
(b) It seems that the dates for my GCA Course (#91) at Shawbury were 14.1./8.3.57, and not Oct/Nov'56, as stated (mixed up with the Vulcan/LHR incident on 1.10.56. ?)
(c) My F5994 (#513) was issued on 1.1.62. at Geilenkirchen; this was presumably the date of the introduction of the scheme.
(d) There are 17 entries in all: Fentiger on 17.9.68.and 27.3.69. All the other names mean nothing to me now, and (not Alex ! - another) S/L Hindley on 12.3.68. (What was the name of the SATCO at Leeming after Fentiger ?)
(e) To cap it all, it seems I thought so little of this precious document that I left it behind at the end, a F/L Tom Davison (Dep SATCO) sent it on to me in May,'73.

It seems that I'd accumulated: "TWR/AC&APP ....RADAPA&TC ...SPEC/ISTR ...SUP(T) ....AR1/PAR, and variations thereof (never LEO, must have thought I was too kind at heart). So you see, I seem to have been qualified after all, but had quite forgotten! (Put smelling salts away).

Danny

Last edited by Danny42C; 4th Sep 2013 at 20:38. Reason: Spelling.