PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 16:40
lexoncd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many many moons ago I worked for airtours who in the early years had a very simple pricing strategy £69 for a week self catering with each additional week £10. £13.84 airport taxes and you saved £5 because dan air only served coffee and biscuits. Fuel surcharges funnily enough were often 9.98% just below the 10% that allowed you to cancel..

Times changed. Abta got involved and airport taxes had to be included. Fuel surcharges had to be explained and op absorb the first 2%. Air Europe came along with hot meals on every flight and slowly airtours changed the quality of the product and grew knowing the cheap n cheerful and quite honestly couldn't give two hoots about the punters days were over.. The text is history but I sense the ryanair model has matured as much as it can. When you're charging so much for luggage it's cheaper to freight it your pushing the limits of pricing before people don't cut down the simply cut you out.

Notice easyjet adopting more of a legacy style and higher yields and growth. I see a great future for ryanair if/when they make the inevitable changes and retain a fare differential over competitors whilst abolishing some of the hoops and issues consumers are possibly become tired of.