PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't we buy a Mossie for the BBMF?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 15:02
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Tankertrashnav. I would imagine that 99 percent of spectators simply regard the Vulcan as being a big, noisy machine that looks pretty impressive (providing it's not a couple of miles away, as it often seems to be at most displays it performs these days!). I doubt if many have any real understanding of what the Vulcan was all about.

But this also applies to BBMF. While there are still people around who are old enough to remember WWII and its effects, then BBMF obviously has some relevance. But these days, increasing numbers of people haven't really got a clue - as we know, some school kids think Hitler was a football manager. Consequently, when the BBMF turn-up at a show, a lot of people doze off because they don't provide the same spectacle as the big, noisy stuff.

So, I go back to my earlier comments. If the BBMF don't provide a "spectacle" as such, then their purpose is to commemorate and remind us of WWII. Therefore the same argument applies to the Cold War, or any other major conflicts. So where does one draw the line? It's difficult to regard the BBMF aircraft as any more significant than lots of others.

Last edited by WH904; 4th Sep 2013 at 15:03.