PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fresh UH-60 Pilot wondering about civilian work
Old 4th Sep 2013, 14:26
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Fat, bald, OLD guy leans back and says...

"Why, when I was flying Jet Rangers, hovering at 98% TQ was for girls, little girls!" And in reality, that's kinda, sorta true. In the real world contracts are written for 100% performance. Performance limits won't be numbers in the book, they'll be friends that you see every flight...
If it has 4 seats, the customer will send 5 pax and tell you "the other pilot takes 6!" Tactful and honest works.
As a civilian, I am always at some limit: MGTO; TQ; NG; T4 or fuel. ALWAYS! I've "topped off" maybe 3 times in the last 13 years.
Usually, the flight plan is firmed up as I climb into the pilot seat.
Single pilot, excepting instructing, every flight since 1971. Well, okay- 6 months in the Gulf of Mexico as an IFR SIC just as I left the GoM for EMS.

Those are the big changes for the transition, military to civilian- you will be single pilot, the customer is always right, and preflight planning must be fast, efficient resulting in an adaptable plan.

It ain't all black and no white for a military nugget. It's been several decades since I was a slick driver, but they were the best trained new pilots in the world then and I am sure are so now. But, there's no getting away from the fact that you're only 200 hour (or so) new guy, even if you are well trained. You might well get to fly in some conditions that civilians will never legally see, your flying will be "mission driven" and not just box of rocks stuff. Do that and learn, but leave that attitude (mission) behind, along with the rank.
I doesn't has no rank, and ain't in a while, but I am THE BOSS in and around the aircraft because I work hard, do the job, I am good and I am trusted.

Yeppers, I would get the CFI/II and work that. Excellent experience in aviation and the civilian "WalMart" world where price, and not always value, drives the decisions.

Good luck.

Last edited by Devil 49; 4th Sep 2013 at 14:36.