PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbine Experience. Why so important?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2003, 07:39
Bagot_Community_Locator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my experience, turbine's are by far a lot easier to handle than piston's, especially those turbo-charged pistons, or fragile Continentals.

Turbine's are also very easy to start compared to a heat soaked piston engine.

I have heard the "you can easily cook an engine" arguement so many times but this is normally very easy to prevent.

Every turbine has some type of turbine temperature gauge for that purpose.

On starting, the temperatures very rarely go near the limit. If the temperature ever approaches this limit (which can very easily be seen on a simple colour coded temp. gauge - which can be read / understood by any 10 year old or younger) it is not such a hard task to cut off the fuel by a simple movement with your fingers.

This is not a very complicated and mentally demanding task and anyone with the intelligence and skill to fly a piston should be able to start a turbine without too much trouble.

In order not too cook an engine in flight, just keep an eye on the turbine temperature and avoid going near the limits - turbine temperature being directly proportional to power lever movement.

Nothing too complicated at all.

And now pistons :
- more difficult too start (esp. when hot)
- gradual power reductions (esp. turbo's)
- constant power approaches
- avoiding idle/ low power on descent
- mixture leaning / re-adjusting all the time
- managing engine temperature and cooling by using airspeed
- cowl flaps
- alternate air/ carb. heat
- fuel boost pumps

The list goes on........

From my experience, turbine's are a lot easier and I can not see what the big deal is.