PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "2010 JFK A380 go-around incident highlights need for change"
Old 4th Sep 2013, 13:06
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLIMBING & DESCENDING 1 & 2?

I recall from a very dim and distant past, my QFI teaching me and allowing me to practise, the black art of hand-flying climbing/descending 1,000ft including turns, until I was proficient and able to go on to more interesting things like turning upside down, deliberately, and then restoring the world to blue side up, brown down..........................

Perhaps a go-around from an approach should not ALWAYS be regarded as a full or even part TOGA balls-out manoeuvre if ground or aircraft ahead contact is not a factor.

Maybe a brief for a possible DISCONTINUED APPROACH by restoring the aircraft in a dignified and less panic-stricken method back to a higher altitude or even stabilised at the breakoff altitude, in the appropriate configuration. And the automatics might need to be switched out of the loop.

But then that may require sim training which would cost money and there's not a lot of that around as the airlines get that warm wet feeling publicising how many zillions they've invested this year in new shiny planes?

That darkened room beckons, but I have to go practise most of the flying training syllabus for real, with punters aboard, later this evening..................