PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plastic funnel and plastic fuel can-is it safe?
Old 4th Sep 2013, 10:18
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst one cannot argue about Static, thousands of cars, lawnmowers generators etc. are fuelled every minute of every day static is ,indeed a very rare cause of fire.....the aircraftshould bond through it's (conductive) tyres,just like a road-vehicle....what about the can?- stood on the ground until you lift to pour?...I'd suggest a car tank slops the fuel around an awful lot more than a 'plane or motorcycle which should both be in balance whilst moving!

Filtering is another grossly exaggerated bogey.....do you really believe that a dispensing facility will invest several thousand pounds in a precision calibrated pump, only to ruin itwith contaminated fuel?
Course not! final filter is normally a dense felt to ensure only pure clean spirit goes through the metering chambers.
any crap is normally due to your own dirty containers and careless handling. good houskeeping should ensure clean fuel.

A lot of the precautions verge on anal retentive....aircraft should "bond" to ground, filler-neck is unlikely to be painted internally, therefore the funnel will sit there and "bond" rest the neck of the can on the funnel, your bonding link is complete.....the real danger, as onetrack pointed out, is synthetic clothing,-which a good pilot should not be wearing anyway!

@ Backpacker...It's a jiggle-syphon plenty on fleabay and motoring shops.

@ T.I.M.Username.....a metal container is a potential bomb, a plastic container is likely to bee cooled below melting-point by the contents....the "dry" portion will heat-soften and act as a fusible vent, so a much safer descent into a blazing inferno.
Any petrol (avgas) container is far more dangerous when "empty"- full of fumes- than it is when full of liquid.

I was told by a professional that a lit match, dropped into a full underground tank, would be immediately extinguished.....vapours @100% concentration, no oxygen, cool liquid....OTOH. an empty tank has drawn in a load of air to replace the dispensed fuel...a bomb waiting to explode!

The road tankers never earthed, before dumping 3,000 gallons in the hole....the hoses had a spiral wire armouring and brass connection couplings so I guess that did the bonding....but I always thought concrete and tarmac were insulators.

anyone remember the 50's vogue for dangling a chain from the back of a car, to earth static and ward off travel sickness?
later, they sold conductive rubber strips which trailed along the ground (and wore away so you bought another)