PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated easyjet recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 09:42
Ashling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree, each person must make their mind up based on their own circumstances.

I joined easyJet nearly 10 years ago from the RAF. I had extensive experience but had to join under TRSS. This meant handing over £23 K to "share the training risk" which was, of course a load of cobblers. My salary would be reduced by £5 K a year for my 1st 5 years but I would get this back tax free as part of a deal with the inland revenue. Something about a training loan. As my salary would fall into the 40% bracket (RAF pension) this meant I would, in effect get £2K more per year than my full contract equivelant. I used my RAF gratuity so needed no loan which in effect meant the cost to me over 5 years was £13 K. If I did well and got a quick command I would qualify for a loyalty bonus after 2 years which would see me in profit on the deal. Other than Ryanair/ Jet 2 I couldn't see a quick command anywhere else and easyJet had union representation and paid more than Jet 2. I would earn significantly more than I did in the RAF and no one would be shooting at me.

So I took a punt. Got a quick command and now enjoy a salary well into 6 figures, work for a successfull company, have job security and quite a decent amount of money in shares. I see my family every day and work less, by a margin, than I did in the RAF.

There are issue's, mainly its a tad boring, but then I had my fun. I've been lucky. It worked out, it might not have and it's a fickle industry but that's true almost everywhere. I have no knowledge of the deal on offer now but, like me, people must weigh up the pro's and con's and come to a decision. It will suit some not others but its way to simplistic to berate people for making a balanced decision.

Maybe I do need my head checked, but not as a result of my decision to join easyJet.

Last edited by Ashling; 4th Sep 2013 at 09:47.