PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA faces lawsuit over pilot's behaviour
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2013, 08:01
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gosh, thought most airlines have a 'Terms & Conditions of Service' type of manual in addition to all the other regulations governing what we do and/or say while in the Company's time. DC3 suggests that a company cannot "control" what an employee does in his "downtime". Let us not confuse "downtime", with "layover" or "days off" etc. If on layover & on Company time then that company certainly can exercise "control" because the employee will be expected to behave in accordance with terms & conditions of service which will, almost certainly, dictate a level of appropriate behaviour. Yuck, I sound like a Lawyer ! By default, the company IS controling your behaviour. So, Wood should never have engaged in activity that might have brought the company into disrepute.Let us be clear here; while on company time. Do what you like on days off , down time etc if NOT on Company time.

For those who think that a guy who jumps into a Hotel bus with a back pack containing a Captain's uniform, changes into the uniform (where, in the back of the van, on the side of the road etc ?) , visits, regularly, in this fashion, schools etc and then returns in the van ( or are we suggesting it was the local school bus sent to collect him ?) and no-one notices or says anything , I say, bunkum ! Of course, it may not arouse suspicion of wrong doing. I did hundreds of trips where the crew stuck together & enjoyed very enjoyable times. By equal measure, there were those crew members who always did "their own thing" and we hardly ever saw them. But, there was always the odd chap and chapess who might behave in a slightly odd way who would attract attention.