PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I unprofessional? Instructor/Airline pilot opinions
Old 4th Sep 2013, 07:49
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ydenneksirhc
He then proceeds to text me back apologizing for the late text (finally...) and then asks why I, as an upcoming commercial pilot, can't have a 2 hour VFR cross country flight planned in under an hour, and have the plane ready to go with all the other work on my plate done as well. He asked why I couldn't have 6 checkpoints on a piece of paper in less than an hour, and that right there looked rushed in my eyes, which we all know has a potential to be very unsafe.
Sorry to say, but if you need more than 2 hours to plan a 2 hour flight and you're already a CPL student, I really wonder whether you are really as time efficient as you should be. How much time would you need then for a 5-hour flight?

I think it's time that somebody tells you, but being a commercial pilot also includes time management. Will you need 2 hours of planning as well for when somebody hires you to fly a 1 hour long sightseeing flight? Sometimes you just need to sort out your priorities. I believe you could have survived the day without the 8-hour sleep followed by 2-hour workout - I know the books says you should sleep 8 hours, drink no alcohol, not smoke at all, get good excercise, eat only the healthiest food, etc. I don't know if anybody has told you yet, but - books sometimes don't accurately describe actual real life.

When i plan my cross countries, I'm very detailed.
It's good to be thorough. No need to make a simple VFR flight into PhD disertation though. With your experience as a CPL student you should be able to plan a 2-3 hour IFR

He then proceeds to text me back apologizing for the late text (finally...)
Bad instructor, very bad. He sent you the route 12 hours in advance and only apologised at the first moment he saw you the next day before the flight. I mean really - how can he be like this?