PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't we buy a Mossie for the BBMF?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 22:55
Easy Street

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts
you have to bear in mind that it's not quite so significant for a younger age group. One could argue that the V-Force is just as significant if not more so. It's a proverbial Pandora's box, when one starts making judgements as to what is significant and what isn't.
To Joe Public, Trafalgar is the RN's greatest victory, Nelson its greatest hero, and Victory its greatest warship. There were other great victories beforehand, and many since. Irrelevant. Trafalgar is the one that has stuck and will continue to stick. And it's absolutely not a generational thing - it is sufficiently distant history now that it remains a constant.

Individual elements of WW2, whether the BofB or the Bomber offensive, may not their own have special significance to future generations. However the war as a whole will endure in our culture for centuries. It had social, technological, geopolitical and economic consequences beyond anything else on offer in the last couple of hundred years. It has been burned into permanent cultural history through film and recordings. Good vs evil. The Blitz. The Holocaust. Nuclear weapons (not ours, though). The story of WW2 will remain in our national consciousness and the RAF will be an indelible part of that.

Of course, I would like to think that the exploits of the modern RAF in Kuwait, the Balkans, Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya (but not Syria?) will have signficance in years to come. I would say that, because I took part in all of it. But the notion that future generations might attach more historic significance to any of that (or indeed anything the V-Force had to offer) than they would to the RAF's role in WW2 is simply fanciful. It's not a Pandora's box at all - otherwise the Navy would be wrestling with notions of preserving Falklands ships.

Last edited by Easy Street; 3rd Sep 2013 at 23:05.