PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't we buy a Mossie for the BBMF?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 22:13
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
I would rather have the BBMF than the Reds on any day of the week!

Whether the RAF turns out to be the fabled 100-year experiment or endures for centuries to come, I think it's likely that WW2 (in its entirety, not just the BofB) will forever rank as the Service's finest episode. For me, the BBMF is our HMS Victory. Perhaps a better name for it would be the RAF Memorial Squadron - with Battle of Britain and Bomber flights! A Mossie would be fantastic and would be a great airshow performer. Perhaps someone might build one from scratch to CAA's satisfaction and gift it to the nation?!

As for the symbolism of the Spitfire, well, yes, aviation history buffs will always point to facts like the Hurricane shooting down more bombers, the Mustang's range tipping the balance in the Allied bomber offensive, etc. The reason why the Spitfire will remain the enduring symbol of the RAF for the rest of the Service's days, despite the academic arguments, is that it caught the imagination of so many - whether the young boy watching dogfights above Kent or the Luftwaffe fighter pilot who had never experienced real fear on a mission before. And it has continued to capture the imagination ever since.

Last edited by Easy Street; 3rd Sep 2013 at 22:15.