PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XH558 gone tech
Thread: XH558 gone tech
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 19:29
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the points made by Shaggy many, many times and I'm afraid I just don't accept them. A Sea Vixen that flies in Red Bull colours is pointless. Yes, Red Bull enables the aircraft to fly, but why waste money (and fatigue hours) on flying the Vixen if it doesn't look like a Vixen? It might as well be any random cheap jet that happens to be available. I mean, what is the point of flying it if it's dressed-up like a tart?
Crikey, a Sea Vixen is a Sea Vixen, no matter what colour it is! As has been said, it's the shape, the sound, and the fact that's an ancient aeroplane that still flies that's important.

If de Havilland had painted one up in a made-up shceme to go sell them to foriegn air forces, would that be OK?

When we aquired our Chipmunk it was navy blue with a creme stripe. The first time we re-painted it we considered an 'authentic' scheme but reasoned there are loads of Chippies in museums in authentic schemes. So we painted it bright red with a blue stripe.

Now, it's gloss black with a white stripe, and looks just superb (a more attractive scheme than the BBMF one). Thing is, it's been a delight to fly for well over 30 years no matter what bleedin' colour it was!