PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbine Experience. Why so important?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2003, 01:07
Blue Hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bunglerat

… Alright fellas, methinks this is on the verge of turning into another one of PPRuNe's famous bitch-&-moan sessions.

BH, your points are valid ones - but then so are MJB's….
I am not attacking MJB personally, just his message. I feel that he is not telling us the full story but having us believe he is a 207hour Brasilia pilot and that tends to cloud the argument unfairly. He probably works as a LAME with considerable experience around the turbine maintenance area. But then I guess this is a rumour network!

… If Qantas can train zero-time cadets through to a B747 and the RAAF can place the same into the front seat of a fast jet, a piston driver should be able to transition to a turbine…
Don’t forget that after training your Qantas cadet spends considerable time (years) as Second Officer and First Officer before graduating to a command role. Again military pilots train under a very intensive training regime before graduating. The fail rate is high given that the selection process is so stringent. We don’t have those options in GA.

… Experience simply means you've been doing the same thing for longer than the next guy….
I guess that’s what it’s all about from the GA operators point of view and Qantas and the military. Operators ‘risk manage’ the learning process to achieve the end result. If a private individual has the where-with-all to fund his own aeroplane, training and consequences there is nothing anyone can do to stop him. At worst he will get a Darwin Award.

Downwind

…Tamworth graduates were flying for kendell, flightwest, aeropelicans and skywest after about 200tt and some loft/crm training in a b737 generic sim, their where even some lucky ones going on to the A320, 146 and 737 at the time….
But how many went to a turbine command position with just 200 hours? The experience requirements of the operator would once again be the overriding factor. The RHS is a good place to start getting the experience! But many GA operators don’t operate their King Airs single pilot and can’t afford the ICUS training process. Some even demand payment for ICUS as threads on this board will attest.

Torres

I forgot you dabbled in the accountancy area – no offence meant. I guess that was just a foundation for your ultimate qualifications as Aviation Manager, Maintenance Controller, Pseudo Pilot, Aviation Lawyer, Airport Surveyor, Airline Advisor, Government Aviation Advisor and all those other skills you picked up with years of experience around the flight line. The experience that posters on this thread believe can be learned in just two hours endorsement training!