PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANA fire extinguisher wiring faults
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 16:51
fenland787

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DWS

most of the workers are dedicated and try to do the right thing, but ultimately it still comes down to self preservation.

The better- experienced workers that make it to AOG crews are absolute wizards and VERY dedicated. But they cost a bit- and are retiring at a significant rate.
I agree with all your comments - and similar ones from others - I spent eight years on 787, working closely with everyone from the production shop floor to engineering VP level.

Almost all individuals I met were capable people trying very hard to get the job done right. What let things down was I am afraid to say, a very flawed management structure and lack of coherent process. What utterly depressed and astonished me in turns was how this did not seem to be recognized and sorted.

Although no longer part of the program, I continue to try and understand how that could be and keep coming back to the conclusion that the vast, serried ranks of 'MBA wielding' middle management just lived in their own happy world where all the power-points and spreadsheets lined up elegantly and the fact that they bore no relation to reality (past, present or future) simply did not occur to them.

When reality did catch up, as it does in life, the response was usually to blame the engineers or the supplier or the production folk rather than the lack of process or management that allowed the thing to go pear-shaped in the first place.

Very sad, because in that time, I met so many smart, dedicated, hard working folk who really cared and were proud of being part of Boeing who were, in my view at least, let down by the system.

I would add that for the last three years I was the on-site support for a critical system, covering production and flight-line and with one or two exceptions perhaps, I do not recognise the 'don't care I just do my shift and leave' description of the folks working the 787 that I have seen on this thread. Most wanted to get the job done and done right and were very engaged when it came to sorting problems.

Last edited by fenland787; 3rd Sep 2013 at 17:07. Reason: Lost the last para...