PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fresh UH-60 Pilot wondering about civilian work
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 15:49
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
The Military is a very structured environment.....and civvie flying is pretty much a individual sport.

In civvie life you generally are on your own to make all the decisions and do all the planning....no one is looking over your shoulder or checking your work.

Do a combat tour in Iraq or Afghanistan and that might be of some help as it is not as "structured" there as back Stateside.

When I was screening Resume's for potential new hires....I looked for folks that already had the experience I was hiring for, then looked for those that had related but different experience, then it was down to licenses, flying hours, and demonstrated ability. Whether a guy was prior military or civilian was way down the list of who got hired.

When it came to the prior military however....prior Rank, Job Positions, and kinds of flying were a factor. If I was looking for a fire fighting pilot....I wanted someone that had lived in the field, done a lot of underslung loads, and did not mind being away from home for long periods of time.

Those who saw themselves as Commanders, Staff Officers, and Admin types....went right straight to the Round File.

The Transition from military flying to civilian flying is not easy.

Retention of Rank ends at time of Separation from the Service which sometimes folks have a hard time remembering.