PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XH558 gone tech
Thread: XH558 gone tech
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 09:39
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krystal, underscoring a word doesn't make the assertion true, although you're probably correct to state that the majority of air show spectators don't care what colour an aircraft is painted. But that rather misses the point, doesn't it?!

Obviously, the majority of air show spectators are completely clueless. They'd watch anything if it performed a loop or trailed some smoke. They don't care, as they've simply turned-up for some entertainment.

But from the viewpoint of an enthusiast, or indeed anyone who has an understanding and appreciation of classic aircraft, colour schemes and insignia are very important. True, there are those that simply appreciate seeing the aircraft no matter how it looks, but there are many others (myself included) who really cannot see the point in restoring/retaining an classic aircraft and then tarting it up in some ludicrous paint scheme. It simply makes the aircraft look ridiculous.

What I can never understand is why anyone would want to spend huge sums of money flying a warbird, and not invest a bit more time ensuring that it looks precisely as it did whilst in military service. I mean, if you don't care about such issues, then why not buy/fly something cheaper like a clapped-out biz jet, or an L-39 or whatever?

I agree that most air show spectators don't care about such issues, but it begs the question as to what the aircraft is restored and operated for. The amusement of Joe Public or the enjoyment and appreciation of those who actually have a clue about what they're looking at?

It's quite remarkable to see just how much difference a truly authentic paint scheme can make. For example, there are various Jet Provosts flying around that look vaguely convincing but they are let-down by slightly dubious colour application, and awful serial transfers that are a completely wrong font. Minor matters maybe but they spoil an otherwise great restoration. On the other hand, T5 XW324 (that displayed at Bournemouth) is pretty-much perfect and looks magnificent. Did the crowds notice? No, of course not, but isn't it a good thing that some owners make the effort to do things right for those of us who do care?

It's a bit like painting a London bus yellow, or a pillar box blue. It's completely at odds with the object's history.

I accept that XH558 was inherited with a bizarre one-off scheme applied at Kinloss, even though I (and lots of my colleagues) hated it from the day it was done. The need to apply a protective and "cleanable" coat for air shows made good sense, but whoever thought applying a wrap-round camouflage scheme to a maritime Vulcan, and then giving it a gloss finish so the colours are completely different those worn by the handful of other Vulcans painted the same way (in matt finish), was utterly bonkers. But repainting the aircraft is obviously an expensive proposition so I can't blame TVOC for sticking with what they've got. It's frustrating that so much of the airframe has now been repainted, albeit on a piece-by-piece basis. If it had all been done at once, we could have said goodbye to the silly colours once and for all.

Naturally, I accept that Joe Public has no interest in colour schemes and insignia. But then I couldn't care less what Joe Public thinks. Krystal seems to be implying that aircraft are restored and operated purely for air show performances. That's not entirely true, and even if we presume that displaying for the public is the main motive, then surely the whole point of restoring and operating a classic type is to demonstrate and illustrate the aircraft as it was, rather than simply amusing a crowd of dimwits who just want some noise and spectacle?

I kind of agree with Hurn in that Miss Demeanour is evidently a popular attraction and doubtless looks good, performing at the seaside. A Hunter is a Hunter after all, but regardless of how many air show punters like it, I think it looks ridiculous. Likewise, as all my colleagues know, I'm a devoted Vulcan fanatic, but XH558 still looks seriously odd, at least to me. I tend to look at it like this - XH558 was in RAF service for a while in the colours and markings it now wears, so one could say that it does at least represent a period in the aircraft's history. Whether it was a good period however, is another story!