PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gloster Javelin
Thread: Gloster Javelin
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2013, 08:49
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,827 Likes on 821 Posts
When I was in the Air Cadets our Chairman was an Ex-Javelin pilot - Ian Cosby DFC I think................. He told a tale of spinning the Javelin and not recovering - not sure if it was true.
I had a boss for a while, Sqn Ldr Bob Bonus, who was an ex-Javelin Nav, who had a lot of stories. Amongst these was the fact that the Javelin could not be recovered from a flat spin (tailplane blanking from the wing?).

There was then an occasion when the navigator ejected in such a situation and his ejection pushed the nose down and the pilot recovered from the spin. The aircraft notes where then altered to state that in the event of a flat spin the pilot was to order the navigator to eject.....

He also explained how the Nav could reach the control runs and if he was bored and wanted to go home it wasn't unknown to give the odd tug until the pilot reported control problems and recovered. There must have been a lot of fitters doing long night shifts investigating phantom control restrictions so that the Nav could get a pint before the bar shut......