PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Misc questions for CFIs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 22:27
M_broFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc questions for CFIs

Hello guys!

I'm very new to aviation. How new? I just ordered my PPL books today! I am currently in my early-30s and have a stable, full-time job, family with two kids, bills, etc. However, since I was young, I always wanted to fly. Granted, I can no longer be Maverick and fly the F-14, but I just went up for a trial flight and I still loved it so I decided to go ahead!

Flying airlines will be a nice surprise if it happens, but it isn't in the plan. A direct "career change" from my job to aviation isn't also feasible due to the commitments and responsibilities I have. At the moment, any dabbling into aviation will be done during my spare time, days off, or holidays. If a good job comes up, then I might go part-time in both jobs.

Having said that, I would like to know more about working as a CFI. At this moment, it seems like this would be what I will end up doing in the immediate future. I would like to know what a "typical work-day" is like and if it were possible to do this part-time, maybe 2-3 days a week instead of full-time.

Lastly but most importantly, I would like to ask what a typical pay is for a CFI in the UK. I am guessing that "typical pay" would vary depending on a number of factors such as number of hours flown, experience and perceived value of it, additional ratings acquired by the CFI, and so on so if "typical pay" does not apply, I would greatly appreciate it if you would put as much info as you think necessary to explain the pay. The reason I ask this is 1) I am in the UK, and 2) I am looking at at least £10,000 just to reach the point where I can do instruction and I wonder how fast I can repay/regain that amount.

Any information would be helpful! Thanks!