PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 19:01
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO-FLY ZONE OF CAPTAINS?

So this airline, and others of whom I know not, has an "avoidance list" so's F/Os can evade operating with those grumpy old pharts who make their lives a misery??

And this state of affairs is tolerated by the management?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the (mistaken) impression that CRM courses and simulator/line check team skills assessments were the first way of ironing out such behaviour by captains towards F/Os?

I recall being informed by a reliable source that the F/Os in a certain major UK airline, when looking at the roster to discover who would be performing their next LPC/OPC, in the runup to and including command assessment details, were calling in sick when they discovered their future lay in the hands of such ogres from the training department!

Sad that the F/Os felt the need for such an action, but even sadder for the flight management who either noticed such a pattern (but avoided bouncing the offending "trainers" off the wall with appropriate sanctions), or even worse, were unaware of such practices and therefore had their eyes off the ball.

I trust those captains on such an avoid-list, and those trainers whom nobody trusts to perform an objective assessment, sleep easy in their beds knowing in how low professional esteem they are held!

Whilst the responsibilities of command don't include nor should embrace a popularity contest, I find it baffling and disappointing but alas not surprising that such a situation of lack of confidence in objective assessments/straightforward line experiences exists to this day, and in other less well equipped/staffed airlines.