PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust asymmetry
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 17:23
AeroTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your feedback.

I agree that closing the throttle(s) will reduce the asymmetry, but I think it will not bring back the airplane to the centerline of the runway especially if an outboard engine fails (if it is quad). There is a need for a force or moment in order to re-align the aircraft with the centerline of the runway (this is just my opinion)
Is there a risk of runway excursion even though the throttle(s) in twin/quad are closed after engine failure ? (based on your experience: sim or real engine failure)

Vilas,
The correct procedure is to bring both thrust levers to idle, that removes the cause of the yaw and use both thrust reversers, the live engine acts as differential brake. If this not sufficient differential braking can be used on the live engine
Villas, I am wondering if the procedure you mentioned is aircraft manufacturer or airline/aircraft operator procedure?

According to my understanding of your posts, it seems that using thrust asymmetry in flight is not normal procedure. But it can be used when needed (crosswind landing, control issues).

Feedback appreciated.