PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 13:34
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Nice spray from an old codger, Landflap. Here's the thing, Landflap. My second "quote" was abbreviated, I admit (the overall message being the same), but my first reply (which you have not addressed, or cannot see the difference between a wobbly NPA caused by map shift and the help how modern technology I quoted helps the pilot) still stands:

Originally Posted by Landflap
Trying to make modern technology work in a NON-PRECISION environment has always been a recipe for disaster.
Originally Posted by Bloggs
Nonsense. NPAs are easier than ever, even if you don't have VNAV. Track diamonds, Track Selectors instead of only Heading Select, FPA (can be precisely set to eg 3.28°), Vertical Speed that can be set to the 10ft/min, Autothrottles, big navigation displays showing you and the PM where you are for orientation...

Not to mention, in some countries, Distance/Altitude scales on the charts which remove all of the profile guesswork...
Let me be more clear: I never mentioned map shift, or "build you own" approaches (which, incidentally includes mucking about with the vertical profile as well as putting in your own LNAV path). You are talking about then; I'm talking about now. With no FMS assistance, NPAs are easier now because of the technology available. It does work, and works very well to reduce workload.

Re map shift, I very much doubt whether any authority would allow NPAs to be flown today in non-GPS augmented aeroplanes without stringent monitoring of the raw data, if at all.