PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 12th Mar 2003, 19:59
Vortex what...ouch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had the misfortune of experiencing VRS.

I was practicing transitions, upwind, then turning downwind then upwind and slowing for landing. On this particular day the wind changed without my noticing, not by much but enough to make a difference. I found myself in VRS after making the turn upwind. Slow with a high rate of descent equivalent because of the change of wind direction. Very Scary I can tell you, although it was only afterwards I realised what had happened.

That feeling you get when you drive over a bridge and leave your stomach behind. Well that was it. I hit quite hard but fortunately I was only about 6 feet high straight and level and so no damage was done, except for my nerves. I was very scared for a few minutes afterwards until I realised what had happened.

My experience is limited and so I did not realise entirely at first how I had got into it. I now understand fully after talking to other pilots about what I did wrong.

I was too low to do anything about it, then that is probably always the case, but more importantly too unaware of how easily it can strike.

I am so grateful for people like Nick et al who come on here and take the time to explain to us novices the multitude of ways we can kill ourselves in helicopters if we do not take the time to understand them fully.

I got away with it, but only just. There are so many other ways I could get it wrong, but hopefully will learn on here enough not to do so.