PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 09:33
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Pitts, as I have said to you before, the CAA and AAIB often sing from different hymn sheets and really don't like each other. AAIB reports are often critical of CAA, and make recommendations for change which CAA often decline to do. It was always thus. Your mistake is thinking they are all one happy bunch of pals!

With that in mind, and bearing in mind also that the AAIB are fully resistant to any commercial pressure, they will issue a factual statement once they are as sure of their ground as they reasonably can be (and certainly not before looking at the CVFDR). However, if they had grounds to believe that there was an airworthiness issue thus there was a risk to aircraft continuing to fly, they would say something to CAA/EASA.

The default position after an accident is that a fleet is not grounded unless there is good reason so to do. Just as well, otherwise there would be no airliners flying at all! So without a strong hint from AAIB why would the CAA contemplate grounding the fleet? The only reason for the current suspension of operations is because of the mood of the workforce. If this was the first event in this series, there would be no question of suspension beyond perhaps a day or two.

I and all my colleagues are glad that CAA and AAIB are not in cahoots. If you can't see that, its because you don't really understand aviation.

You say "nobody has given a statement in plain English" but who should that somebody be?