PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 09:06
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Bloggs ; are you secretly a misplaced journalist ? You completely misquote. You say, that I said, " Modern technology has made NPA's a recipe for disaster". Er, no, I never said that. Go back & re-read my post. What I suggested was that in older aircraft, many pilots delighted in using the newer technological thinking in making the aircraft do what it was never intended. I am with Slowjet on this. I too suffered huge map shifts where radio updating was poor or impossible. Yet, I too witnessed guys very happy with staying on the map ! I don't rely on old technology, on it's own, either. I have approached airfields, in the old days, served only with a croaky old NDB where the RMI needle pointed at a CB. We went somewhere else & awaited CAVOK. My point was that as new technology came along, full situational awareness was achieved by NOT relying on the magenta line. I accept that these days, Satnav, GPS etc has made NPA's a piece of cake. But, I would not RELY on it. Certainly not in a A300 which is what, I believe, we are talking about ?Oh, and, silly boy, we never "built approaches" either ! We did, sometimes "build" vertical profiles which I thought was a recipe for disaster & never did it myself. Bloggs, here is the thing. Read carefully & stop misquoting............now there's a good chap. Stay safe old bean !