PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 06:17
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But I don't think GA would be happy with him returning either.
And why would that be??

He always enjoyed excellent relations with all the alphabet soup orgs., he introduced a number of changes all the GA's benefit, and quarantined some of the worst of CASA's worst to back rooms --- all subsequently let loose on the industry again by the present management.
He was responsible for the change that pulled the rug out from under the "data approval" industry, a nice little earner for those around that little trough ---- and recently reversed by the present management. He was moving towards making Schedule 5 a real maintenance program, as per FAR 43, Appendix D --- all anathema to the "iron ring".

I can't think of a single thing he did that was not to the advantage of the industry. After all, he came to aviation from GA - his first job was with Bob Hoover.

His greatest crime, as far as the CASA "iron ring" was concerned, was that he didn't follow the policy of "maximum conviction at any costs, guilty or not". Unusually for CASA, he didn't believe the accusation was the proof of the crime, he wanted real evidence, he didn't believe in the reverse onus of proof.

After all, his experience of "typical" CASA, before he took a contract with CASA, was of the dictatorial behavior of misinformed, inflexible and aggressive behavior of the little martinets all to typical. I believe he would have been no friend of the ALAEA.

Byron hired him as a change agent, he and Byron were never forgiven for that, as you may well know.

Tootle pip!!