PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experiment in Microsleep
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2013, 00:51
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

Originally Posted by Machinbird
I considered it vital to stay strapped in in order to meet the 5 minute launch criterea. It was possible to sleep in the cockpit that way (Shoulder harness unlocked, helmet on stick, kneeboard on helmet, head on kneeboard)
Can we say it is a micronap or a mininap, effectively with the risk of sleep inertia?
From experience in my family sleep inertia is very different from person to person.Cycles of sleeping may be mesured for oneself. I may have micronaps of 3 minutes, mininaps of around 15 minutes. Naps of 1h½. Normal night sleep of 5 hours, day sleep of 7 hours. I never use an alarm to wake up. When I want to rest I am focusing how long I will sleep, and then took my mind in kind thoughts, nothing more and I am very quickly asleep. When it is time to awake, I awake and I am standing up and work very quickly. But once I experienced a difference in awakening after a broken ankle I had steel and nickel in my leg and foot. I could jump parachute but my foot was blocked 5° lower on one side, and when awakening I was no more so rapid to be in action as I used to be, and thought that metal was the cause of that. Finaly the surgers accepted to retire that metallic stuff, and I recovered the quick well awackening immediately and the ankle was no moe blocked. The surger thought that, as I am always moving, having the foot blocked was a psychologic stress which affected my waking up. I still imagine that that metal in the body was the difference with static electricity or friction electricity micro-current.
If I am awaked in the middle of the night 5h sleep I need to 3h½ in one part to get rested. I learned that only late in my life by myself. It seems that skippers of sailer races are learning new ways to rest ?