PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 1st Sep 2013, 20:09
check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airwave45
Your comment regarding the door while correct does raise a point or two. Now things may have changed since I left the UK North Sea, but in my day it was writen that the pilots would go aft in the event of a ditching to operate the doors. In KLM Helicopters we always carried a cabin attendant irrespective of pax numbers who operated the rear door of the S61 and one pilot operated the sliding door.

That is the theory, in practice it almost cost a pilots' life as he went aft and was trampled in the rush to get out. In this ditching there was no loss of life.

My point is there is no easy solution to evacuation. While we have cramped cabins and full compliment of passengers there will always be the risk of fatalities. For the foreseeable future the cabin will remain, so the only variable is the pax numbers and while safety is important to the oil companies they may baulk at the extra cost resulting from reduced payloads. The financial controller who receives a request for a multi million increase to the transport budget is not going to be a happy chappy.