PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experiment in Microsleep
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 19:19
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
I can almost imagine a tired crew doing a difficult night approach in the weather, and then microsleeping during the rollout. Does anyone have any stories to relate along that line?
Originally Posted by dubbleyew eight
not the way it would happen my friend.
from my experience a micro sleep is caused by the utter exhaustion of the underlying brain circuitry. the micro sleep allows the circuitry to be put out of action and the blood supply to slightly replenish the circuitry.

you are a danger to yourself because you still believe deep down that it is something that is predictable and can be managed.
you cannot predict when it will occur. you may never be aware of your last micro sleep because your shattered body will have ceased living.

as one who has been through this and no longer suffers it, CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE.
dubbleyew eight
I know that you have the best of intentions in your post, however you completely mis-perceive my intent in starting this thread. I have a somewhat analytical approach to life, and when I observe something that I cannot explain, I file it away while awaiting more data.

Well, I have received more data and have made a connection that can be useful to others. To keep that information to myself when I know that others are encountering a similar problem would be selfish and uncaring.

I have been personally concerned about the effects of microsleep ever since that night I microslept while flying an A-4E Skyhawk at FL350 with no functional autopilot. Fortunately I was immediately awakened by my head falling down under the weight of the helmet and oxygen mask. (See picture below for those who think Cessna when you see the word Skyhawk.)

The earlier post by roulishollandais regarding an "Almost Home" accident reminded me of the similar situation that happened to my wife. There may be a valid "Almost Home" microsleep effect. This would be a good area for further study by those whose profession is doing sleep research.

Unless you are a professional sleep researcher with specific information on the subject, your "not the way it would happen my friend." comment is strictly an opinion.
Consider this post by 8driver
I've gone into microsleeps on a number of occasions, one that I remember was on final approach to PHL back in 1993 at a regional.
http://www.pprune.org/7995328-post193.html
For one who has been struggling to stay awake, particularly in a highly automated aircraft, the fact that you are on approach with the end of the flight in sight may be enough of a relief factor to trigger a microsleep event.

I cannot imagine falling asleep on the final phases of a night carrier approach, the adrenaline factor and heart beat rate is too high, but I do know of an A-7 driver who had had an interesting time over the beach with SAMs and then flew into the water on his second night approach following a bolter.(He ejected and survived to tell the tale.) I know of an F-4 crew that both fell asleep while on autopilot while pointed toward an unfriendly country(but non-participating in the war of that time). It was a close thing. Like it or not, lack of sleep and aviation have had a long history together. Until such time that aircrews are replaced by robots, we are going to have to contend with fatigue and manage it. Accidents such as the Mangalore one have the fingerprints of fatigue and sleep problems as well as bad CRM. http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...738-crash.html

Last edited by Jetdriver; 15th Oct 2013 at 14:46.