PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 1st Sep 2013, 17:33
airwave45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy1970
Apologies for not reading every post as this may have been asked already but has it been reported if any of the pax deployed rebreather and if it was effective or was the whole thing just to quick with there being no brace warning given, point raised is has the rebreather actually been used in anger ?? , personally I hated it on every foet I've done and found it so bloody diddly I'd likely take my chances without it
Originally posted by Digininagain
Like it or loathe it, it's there to give you a fighting chance. 10 or 15 seconds of alternate air could easily make the difference between getting out or not.
I personally feel that the use of the rebreather equipment is _much_ more likely to act as an anchor / catch stopping me getting out of the window than any possible positive use under water.
Like many on the Huet courses I detest the things.
I'm not designed to breath under water and it took (not intending doing it again) every ounce of self control I had not to panic while using it in the pool.

I know I'm not alone in that either which is why a diver is sent down with you to watch you use it (first time with it, I and many others just held our breath to do the exercises underwater.)

The best place to be with an inverted helicopter in the water is outside watching it.
Whatever "Genius" thought it would be a good idea to make people wear yet more crap to catch on the windows during egress, really, needs a slap.

Sorry, my opinion only.
I'm sure there are people more comfortable than I using re-breathers in inverted helicopters, in the north sea, in the waves and the wind.

Been speaking face to face to a couple of (helicopter) pilots over the last two days, there is NO concept of how scared the SLF really are.
Watched the local news interviewing bears about to fy offshore Wed, you could almost see their arms being wrenched up their back to say they were happy to fly.

Been speaking to fellow oilfield trash and the guys have a massive dislike of the 225.

There needs to be some serious work done to Show the Bears, why, the Pilots like the 225 so much, and speaking to a guy at the pointy end, he did indicate that the 225 will get you out of the doo doo more times than it will get you in it.
The bears don't know that.

Time would be well spent letting them know what the flying community think _before_ it comes back into service.

Now, I know it's not in your job description to hold the hand of the pax while big boy pants are put on prior to committing aviation, but, if you let the "management" loose on the Bears we'll have another train wreck with "Big boy pants" (or worse) and the already revolting (quietly) bears, really, will dig their heels in.

And bears digging in heels involves them finding other jobs. so, a fair old commitment.

I'd love to take DB up on his public offer of a look round the 225 sim, however.
I've nailed my colours to being Ex N Sea, and am quite happy with that.
(and therefore it would be a waste of good sim time, much as I'd have a hoot playing with it)

There are people EC should be taking round for a look, Safety reps mostly.
But beware bamboozling the guys.
Remember how many years it took for you to be comfortable with what you are doing?
Start with the premise that none of the guys will have heard of gyroscopic presecion and most won't know how a wing works, never mind transitional lift and drag curves.
But all will know how a helicopter in the sea is bad, be that through a gearbox failure or a procedural failure. (Both of which the 225 should now be free of, fingers crossed)

Effort of the flying communities part will _significantly_ reduce the stress levels on the Bears, and will decrease the likelihood of the guys looking for alternates.

Which, is a win win.

And I did like the pictures of the free fall lifeboat / heavy lift 'elicopter.
Serious discussions on improvement are allowed moments of levity, or everyone switches off.

Sorry for the long post.