PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC_BA Long haul long tours
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 17:16
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, the good old days ...

Both crewmeal and Albert Driver have given an excellent account of the way things were on the 747 fleet in the 70s. I was cabin crew on the fleet 1973-79 and recall how often, trips did not go to plan. Once you were "off-schedule" all bets were off, and you could end up anywhere in the world, and often did. We were fully of the opinion that 'Scheduling' had forgotten where we were and how long we had been out for - this could be to our advantage, or not, depending on the attractiveness of the location and the hard value of the currency our living allowances were paid in.

Herewith the itinerary of my first trip to the land of Oz
22 Dec 1973 Pax QF760 B707 LHR-ATH-TEH- DEL
23 Dec Asleep
24 Dec Taxi to Agra visit Taj Mahal. Evening Xmas room party with BOAC VC10 crew in the Oberoi plus we invite the Lufthansa 707 crew down the hall to join us for carol singing.Their incredibly young Captain leads them in 'Stille Nacht' (Silent Night) - puts me in mind of the Xmas day truce in WW1
25 Dec The flight we are due to operate diverts due fog at Delhi airport, we remain in hotel with Xmas lunch provided by BOAC Catering. We are now OFF-SCHEDULE
26 Dec We are told to operate BA812 to HKG. The crew who should have taken that flight are not best pleased as they now have to stay in Delhi OFF-SCHEDULE
27 Dec Evening we Pax on Cathay Convair 880 HKG-KUL-Djakarta-PER.
28 Dec Asleep in the Parmelia. Evening room party plus the Cathay crew
29 Dec PM operate to SYD via MEL (bad turbulence)
30 Dec Bondi
31 Dec Bondi New Years Party on beach
1 Jan 1974 Bondi
2 Jan Bondi Visit Rose Bay and marvel that QF still operate Flying Boats from there (to Lord Howe island?)
3 Jan Operate SYD-HKG
4 Jan Evening operate HKG-BKK
5 Jan R&R in BKK
6 Jan evening operate to BAH
7 Jan Gulf Hotel on standby for diverted flight - no go
8 Jan Due to pax back to LHR on BA743 - but off-loaded so back to the hotel
9 Jan evening repatriation flight to UK on QF Jumbo, but in-flight engine shut down (my second such experience in two months with P&W JT9Ds) and we land in Vienna
10 Jan Lifted back to Blighty on BEA Trident 2 - trip over.

So there you have it -20 days at sea with just 5 flights operated plus 4 pax trips,
but that's how it often was - forty years ago.

Ian BB