PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Performance
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 08:41
Fg Off Bloggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few points:

The Buccaneer Boys: Headlined by Graham Pitchfork but actually written by 27 Bucc Boys with a chapter each; one of which is mine!

From the flyleaf of The Buccaneer Boys:

Twenty seven aircrew from the RN, SAAF and RAF relate their experiences and affection for the Buccaneer. Arranged in chronological order, the book traces the history of the aircraft and the tasks it fulfilled. In addition to describing events and activities, it provides an insight into the lifestyle of a Buccaneer squadron and the fun and enjoyment of being a 'Buccaneer Boy' in addition to being part of a highly professional and dedicated force.

The introduction into service is fully described and there are chapters devoted to flying from the Royal Navy's aircraft carriers. Further chapters cover the development of the RAF's maritime tactics and the deployment of two squadrons to RAF Germany in the overland role. The aircraft's stunning success at Red Flag and Maple Flag exercises flown in North America, which took the USAF hierarchy by storm, are covered in detail. Two chapters are devoted to the intensive, but little known, Bush War operations by 24 SAAF Squadron in the border areas of southern Angola.

Two USAF exchange officers who flew Buccaneers relate their experiences and the aircraft's deployment for the Lebanon crisis and the reinforcement exercise to the Falkland Islands is examined. The introduction of new air-to-surface anti-ship missiles is covered before the Buccaneer left to go to war in the Gulf where it distinguished itself providing laser marking for the Tornado force in addition to carrying out its own precision bombing attacks.

This lavishly illustrated book concludes with accounts of the aircraft's final days in RAF service and reflections on its impact on maritime and overland air power.

There is much, much more besides that within these 220 pages superbly written by Buccaneer aircrew and edited by Graham Pitchfork.

The book is available now from either the publisher (Grub Street) or from The Aviation Bookshop the latter of whom has signed copies available.

To order a copy of this book please contact either of these available outlets as follows:

Grub Street - Grub Street or +44 (0) 207 924 3966

Aviation Bookshop - Home Page or +44 (0) 1892 539284

The Aviation Bookshop
31-33 Vale Road
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN1 1BS

Now to LOOPING THE BUCC! The Aircrew Manual is specific viz:

Only half loop manoeuvres are permitted. The maximum entry altitudes (1013Mb set) using a minimum entry speed of 530 knots can be obtained from Figure 2. The conditions set out are applicable to any external stores configuration and any stores in the bomb bay with the BDT open or closed. It can be seen that at ISA conditions at 48,000lb AUW the maximum entry altitude is 3,000 ft and the minimum entry speed is 530 kts.

That stated, as a U/T GIB, I flew my Fam 1 with a very experienced RAF pilot who had cut his teeth with the FAA at Lossie! After he'd shown me the various departure procedures, done a bit of high level manoeuvring, reached 39,000ft to show me how high it would go, used the airbrakes and closed the throttle to show me how rapidly it could descend to the wave tops, accelerated at LL to max chat of 580 kts and slammed out the airbrakes to show me how quickly it could stop in flight he ventured to suggest that now he would show me a loop. Conscious as I was of my virginity in what up until then had been his world and sure that this was the 'trick question' I protested about its forbidden status in the RtoS! I received this reply:

'Shut up, Bloggs, watch this and keep calling out the height to me!'

I recall we entered the loop somewhere about 5,000ft, pulling like a b*****d! I have no recall at what height we topped out despite my chanting of every 1,000ft as we passed through it. However, and without the power to recall our bottoming height I do remember that it was somewhat below our entry height! The whole thing passed in a blur as it was the first time that I'd experienced quite such a period of sustained g!

The reason that the Bucc was not cleared for looping was because its mainplane, like the Javelin, would shield the tailplane as you went over the top giving a corresponding lack of stability and a probable flick!

I survived and went on to gain 2500 hrs on Buccs before moving to Tonka (which could loop but that was about all it could do in terms of service ceiling, Radius of Action and load carrying in comparison to the mighty Bucc).

Bloggs

PS. To whoever thought that the wing might be blown at high level, BLC only came on when the flaps, aileron and tailplane droop were selected to 30-20-20 or 45-25-25 in the landing configuration (or has that already been pointed out!)

Last edited by Fg Off Bloggs; 1st Sep 2013 at 08:43.