PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 08:29
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Bloggs ; And there we have it. Nicely set-up, programmed & followed with great satisfaction.But what if you didn't programme quite as precisely as you should have done. Follow your little track pointer, VS pointer, magenta line straight into the hill. From B737 to B757, we still suffered big map shifts. Yet, the children persisted in following the map. I was instrumental in insisting as part of the SOP that for NP approaches, the handling pilot would always HAVE to be in raw data. Another Company insisted on "building" the Vertical profile for the clever little map displays . Lovely little Vert pointer looked very like a ILS GP and when incorrectly built or missing a few height restraints I noticed many pilots fly the map,fly the profile & bust a height restraint. Again, I got that company to change and ALL NP approaches were flown by the handling pilot in raw data. Landflap, far from offering nonsense, as you so politely suggest, appears to me, and other veterens still around to share experience, to offer complete and utter professional common sense.