PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 03:16
jaganpvs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Danny,

Let me dig up what more I have..

And thanks for your thoughts on the photos..

Photo 'A',

The gunner in the photo is apparently Plt Offr Jagjit Singh . I think we can see him in Photo 'B' - the only Sikh with the turban.,

Photos B and C were certainly taken after 27.3.44 - because Sqn Ldr Sutherland took over command on that date!.. they may have been taken in quick succession - as I can see Tinhat man and Sidcot man in both photos apparently looking like they were taken moments apart.

I got these photos and the others i am posting below ten years ago when I visited late Gp Capt Philips. I only had a crummy digitial camera and the result was these poor copies...

Others from that visit

8 Squadron group - said to be immediately after formation - thus no RAF/Commonwealth officers other than Indians in this picture. You can make out the CO Prasad, Flight Commander Chopra, Plt Offr Jagjit Singh and J S Dhillon..

Ground crew - photo had inscription "Some of my boys"

Now this is photo of Gp Capt CGI Philips. I kick myself for the poor quality reproduction. But the Vengeance that he was standing by - he said was his with an emblem of a lightning weilded by a hand/fist.. and the sorties marked as bombs..

and finally a better photo of him - when the sqn converted to Spit VIIIs..

Also one more story about 8 Squadron..
Dodging a Vultee Vengeance in India about Ettinger.. you heard or seen it I hope!

And Canadian historian Hugh Halliday's interest in 8 Sqn RIAF!
No.8 Squadron, IAF