PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2013, 23:54
Danny42C

Jaganpvs

Jagan,

Welcome into our noble fellowship ! (I liken it to a virtual crewroom in cyberspace, in which all are welcome with their contributions about military (and civil) aviation ancient and modern, and are free to question and comment thereon, only provided no harsh word is said).

I am particularly glad to welcome you from that land of maharajahs, king cobras, elephants and storytellers where I misspent nearly four years of my (very) distant youth - and of course we've met before (on Key Publishing Forums) - any chance of getting any more ? - and a WWII survivor would be marvellous !

And thank you for the three evocative pics, which I shall call A,B,& C in order of appearance, and on which a word or two may be of interest. Until next time, then,

Cheers ! Danny.

'''''''
Photo 'A',

Sqdn/Ldr Prasad, of course ! and crewman (unknown)....(puzzle): Why is he wearing what looks like a Sidcot suit ? Bengal/Assam/Arakan much too hot, could be OTU at Peshawar (gets very cold in winter up on the Frontier). If so, why is VV so muddy ?....Note prominent "stirrup" on oleo leg, which pilots used for quick scramble up onto wing over to cockpit.....We never "masked" the gun ports (front guns never used anyway).

Photo 'B',

No prize for spotting Boss: Sqn Ldr. Ira K.Sutherland DFC RNZAF - every bit as tough as he looks ! Think it may be Flt.Lt. Dugdale (Flt. Commander) at his R. hand. Don't remember other chap......Why are the aircrew wearing side arms for photograph ?.....What is that hat, looks like a WW1 tin hat painted white ?.....Note how massive the VV was !

I am not on this, and do not remember it. It will have been taken after 24.2.44., when I was carted off after the crash.

Photo 'C',

Same again. Again, the "Sidcop" suit and fur (?) collar (what on earth for ?) No prizes for spotting "Chiefy" in front. Reckon he could keep "Good Order and Air Force Discipline !"

As Yamagata Ken says, hardly Savile Row !.....D.