PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 31st Aug 2013, 19:07
OffshoreSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few thoughts on the SP from someone who has been retired from flying offshore for a few years now.

When I started, most flights were by S61, although I did have a couple of flights in a S58. (Definitely giving my age away now!) At one time when B Cal were in operation, we flew in Bell 214ST's.

Helicopter flying is not the most comfortable way to travel at the best of times, but that's just inherent in the way they are. I always thought that the S61 was as comfortable as it could be, and never had any problems. I also liked the 214ST, as it was just one big cabin, and it knocked quite a bit of time off the flight to Forties.

When the SP came along, I never really took to them because I found them very cramped and uncomfortable. If you were in a window seat, and got a big guy sitting next to you, there was no room to move, so gawd knows what would have happened if we'd had to evacuate. It was just as bad if the big guy was in the window seat. I remember one flight where I just managed to get one bum-cheek on the seat as that was all the room that was left. I was a bit sore by the time we reached Aberdeen!

If there is a move to reduce the number of pax, then can I suggest that a new design of seat, a bit more comfortable, and more room between them be installed.

As for the HUET, I think that you can take realism too far. I did the RGIT one quite a few times, and also the Australian one in Fremantle, and can say that I never had any bother with doing it. I would say that it's probably about the right level as it is.

I'll never be on another helicopter, but if I did have to go offshore for some obscure reason, I'd have no qualms whatsoever about getting on one of whatever flavour. Irrespective of the recent incidents/accidents, I still have great faith in the professionalism of you guys who take us to/from or place of work.