PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 31st Aug 2013, 18:10
thelearner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been watching this thread over the last week, and felt no need to post as airwave45 and diginagain have been doing an excellent job along with some others.

I don't want the discomfort in the back to take any focus away from finding out what happened, and what can be done to make sure this accident is never repeated in future - I would rather the effort went into keeping the helicopters out of the water.
The effort also needs to concentrate on why we have put 5 aircraft in the water in the last 4 years with loss of 20 life's.

I have been on helicopters in the back for around 21 out of the last 30 years, shore based now, last flight at start of this year, but around 14 years recently in the mk1, mk2 and latterly EC225 prior to grounding. Average flight time in the 225 on a good day 1 hr 50, so in the back for a while, and it is not very comfortable, and I have grown also over the years.

I don't think as many as you think are unwilling to get on the puma again, well certainly not the EC225 from speaking to some of my colleagues, although I'm not offshore so cannot gauge the full feelings of the workforce.

You would be surprised though how many people fly who are really scared of flying in a helicopter, and I have always admired these guys - don't know how they do it.
Personally, I have always accepted that when flying in a helicopter for a long time over water there is a risk, albeit small you will end up in it. I also think that sometimes you may not easily get out, but if a controlled ditching on a calm day you have a good chance. I accepted that risk, I chose where to work because it is a good job with good rewards, although the helicopter is not the only risk we accept.

HUET training - again you underestimate how difficult many already find the existing training - which is not fully realistic, some people dread doing that training, some struggle and don't like the rebreather and some simply are frightened of water and being disorientated. I find it OK luckily, and think rebreather has made it easier.

I agree you guys should also have one, but remember you have a door that looks quite appealing to me if we land on the water.

Also I hope when the report comes out, if it finds pilot error there is no witchhunt, there is no way they deliberately did this, and there will quite likely be other factos to take into account - I note you guys get quite busy at this time?