PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 31st Aug 2013, 12:29
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Recently Sikorsky and the FAA reported certification of automated approaches in the S-92.

FAA Approves Sikorsky Aircraft?s New Platform Approach System for S-92® Helicopters ? Feature Offers Enhanced Safety Through Reduced Pilot Workload

At that time.....I suggested it was time for the CAA and North Sea Operators to consider that technique.

I find it interesting it was a Gulf of Mexico Operator, PHI, that was instrumental in the initiative....as we all know how backwards the GOM is....right?

HC as I recall said the 225 has the same capability although it is not used currently.

Should this be an area of operations that needs to be implemented on the North Sea?

How much more of a safety bonus would such approaches provide compared to existing techniques?

It would seem in the Localizer Approach being done by the crew in this latest crash.....had the "Automated Approach" technique been used.....an S-92 or EC-225 (or aircraft with comparable capability) could have used the technique to arrive at the Thresh Hold fully controlled by the Autopilot system with the pilots only having to monitor the autopilot.

The Technology is here.....when will the Authority acknowledge that by allowing the use of it in daily operations?

This is another Shield that needs dropping.....thus providing for timely acceptance of new but proven technology.

Last edited by SASless; 31st Aug 2013 at 12:42.