PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2013, 09:04
ACW418

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manby to Strubby Forced Landing

Danny,

The coincidences continue! Not only were we at Linton together but I think I met your Flight Sergeant at St Mawgan.
I had finished all the exercises and tests on the JP at Syerston without having completed the required 160 hours so my instructor, a Master Pilot, said we had to go on a long land away of my choosing, except it was to St Mawgan of his choosing. He blamed me for letting down on St Eval, but that has already been reported on an earlier post. On arrival on 2 Jan 1964 we went into one of the Shackleton squadrons to meet his old mates. He became incandescent when he discovered one them had been commissioned as a Flying Officer despite having run out of fuel between Manby and Strubby in a Meteor. This chap apparently pulled off a text book forced landing and there was no damage to the aircraft. He got a Good Show after the obligatory bollocking. I might add that my instructor had been on three commissioning courses at Jurby but had been failed on all of them for drinking so he did not sit on the moral high ground.
I think it too much of a coincidence that there were two similar incidents and it most likely was the same chap.

ACW

Last edited by ACW418; 31st Aug 2013 at 09:05.