PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2013, 22:55
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Excellent find on an interesting piece of information.

Using 3.2 deg angle and considering the difference of 27 ft (75ft -48 ft), the difference in touchdown point would shorten touchdown distance, perhaps, as much as 482 ft.

I'm not sure the VGSI TCH, in this case based on a standard for Airports PAPI siting, is necessarily intended to assure obstacle clearance (the topic of many interesting graphic submissions so far). Perhaps, I’m wrong on that. In any case we can surmise from the design of the LOC 18 procedure there are known obstacles in the visual segment, (e.g., no VDP).

I suggest that, as I think others have noted before, the "Sink Rate" alert, which does not trigger for less than 1000 FPM VVI (baro), and is heard on CVR approx 7 sec prior to sounds of impact, one could surmise the VVI was greater than 1000 FPM, perhaps 1100+ FPM. So, VVI must be a prime suspect until more data is forthcoming.

One could imagine the crew reacting quickly to the Sink Rate alert at least reducing the VVI in the last moments before impact. Again we must wait for the actual data. At approx. 140 kts, the airplane would travel 1,656 ft in 7 seconds. So does 1100+ FPM VVI make sense at that location in the approach? What could account for it?