PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2013, 22:48
Danny42C

MPN11,

I have been off line a lot over the past few days (broadband giving no end of grief), just got back after PPRuNe-less 48 hrs. I'm full of sympathy for you - life seems to have been so complicated at Strubby in your time. Now I come to think of it, I don't think we had any bachelor ATCOs when I was there. Of course, we were all old men then !

Here is another short AOC Inspection snippet which may amuse, while I am cooking up more solid fare.

Danny.

There is another AOCs Inspection story for which I accept no responsibility whatever,as it was told to Mrs D. by one of her pals at Strubby. I do not even know the Station involved.

However, it seems that, as the fatal day neared, they did a bit of research and found that it was the AOC's birthday. Would it not be a splendid idea if they were to bake a cake in honour of the event ? Then when he retired to the Mess for elevenses after the rigours of the Parade, he could enjoy this cake with his coffee instead of the customary dry biscuits. And just look at the brownie points that could accrue to the Station thereby ! (after all, you can hardly write-down a place after it has been so gracious to you, now can you ?).

The Mess Sgt Cook was (unusually) skilled in the arts of cake baking and decorating. And this was as well, as they had decided to embellish the cake surface with their guest's full title, honours and awards. And these were legion, as he had had a long and distinguished career (there were some who muttered "too long" - but we may safely ignore these disaffected individuals). This was duly accomplished: it did look good. Now all that was needed was to convey it to the anteroom on the morning.

What exactly happened I do not know. The cake suffered little damage, but what there was was vital. Most of the letters, figures and full stops had been scuffed off the top. There was barely time to whip up a fresh batch of icing sugar, and certainly no time for it to set. What is quick-setting, white and smooth, and easily moulded ? As with many problems, when you define it in exact detail, the answer presents itself. They looked on the shelf and found a box of "Polyfiller".......

I believe that the repairs were entirely convincing (in appearance). How "Polyfiller" would taste I do not know and do not intend to try. The affected pieces must have been kept well away from the official visitors. Perhaps some junior officers were let into the secret and invited (?), for the good of the Station to crunch, lie back and think of England.

D.