PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 21:24
Non-Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whilst I have worked in aviation all my working life and get defensive when (to my mind) irrational responses take flight, it is still fundamentally a prerequisite of our industry that we care passionately about each and every casualty however statistically "small" they are.

I had the pleasure of working with HC and others on this forum in a 7-year stint in rotary and watch back with affection from the big jet game I returned to. I value the professionalism and varied opinions of each of the disciplines. I do believe Bill Chiles truly was impacted by loss of life in his pre-aviation career as much as he is a driven businessman.

I count myself fortunate that the fam flight I was due to do on an S76 out of Norwich on the 17th of July 2002 was postponed for the most tragic of reasons. I count myself fortunate that I climbed the Northern Line escalator at Kings Cross on the 18th of November 1987 at 15:00 rather than 19:30. I am not religious nor particularly believe in "fate"

In this sad case it is not about (caveated by my prior post) breathing a sigh of relief that the type is (probably) exonerated on the altar of a couple of fallible sacrificial lambs. It is about trying to prevent it happening again.

Last edited by Non-Driver; 31st Aug 2013 at 07:13.